Friday, April 26, 2013

Activity for the kids

We have decided that our girls will not begin attending school until the age of 4, if even then.  Ad a former teacher I have so much fun educating my children and truly forming an amazing bond with them.  Part of this blog, I plan to devote to learning activities for young children.  I will admit some ideas I have found on other blogs, remember from my own childhood, or just make up as I go.

Last week the girls and I made Jellyfish in a bottle!  I believe I came across the idea on Pinterest (a mothers frenemy).  It was such a simple task, and came out surprisingly well.  We've been to the Ty Warner Sea Center to see the Jellies on a few occasions and have read about them in books, thus it was fun for Blaire to create her own.  We followed up the following day with a trip to the Sea Center. 

STEPS:

Cut a clear plastic bag, leaving a section together.  
PLace a rubber band (I used one of teh small ones for the girls hair) around teh section that is still connected (this is creating the head)
Cut strips in the plastic bag (kid scisssors were tough to use; I had to guide Blaire with my scissors)
FIll the head with water (pull section open, leaving rubber band in place; seriously it took me a few attempts to really get it right)
Fill bottle with water
Push Jellyfish into bottle.
Add some Food Coloring (we used a little too much of the blue which ruined teh effect slightly)
cap off adn Voila, jellyfish in a bottle.  

Holding up to the light really brings it out.







No comments:

Post a Comment