Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Go to Snacks for the girls

I've been told that I've been blessed with good eaters.  I suppose that that is true.  However, I can't help but think that my husband and I have much to do with the way that they eat.  I grew up a picky eater and I have nieces and nephews who are picky eaters.  I am determined to have good eaters. I've made all home made baby food, with the help of a few cook books, never fearing adding spices and actual flavor to their food.  I'm often asked about what I give the girls so I decided I'd make a starting list of snacks.  Here are a few things that I am almost never without and consider my go to foods for the girls:

  •   Organic Frozen Peas...why bother to even cook them
  •   Organic Sweet Potato/Yams:  Peel, slice, little coconut or olive oil, in oven at 425 for 15-20 mins...yummy snack  ( I also do this with parsnips (w/thyme &/or add salt to these after age 1 & butternut squash sometimes with cinnamon)
  • Goat Cheese (spreadable is great)
  • Seaweed Snacks...what a perfect slightly salty, crunchy, and uber healthy snack
  • Almond butter
  • Plain Yogurt, great for making dips or just plain  2 favorite dips: with apple cider vinegar and honey, and my newest love with nut butter and a dash of cinnamon and honey
  • Frozen Mango, great as a snack, dessert, and for teething
  • Avocado!! Talk about yummy and nutritious, perfect brain food
  • Spinach/Kale  seriously: blanch it, and mix with pear, depending on age of child mash/puree it, you can even add in yogurt (though dairy inhibits the uptake of iron so if you're goal is ultimate iron absorption, Id omit it)  I've done this with strawberries, spinach, yogurt, froze it, called it a popsicle and it was a hit!
  • Oatmeal use it for breakfast or to make homemade granola type bars.  Overnight oatmeal is one of Blaire's favorite breakfasts
  • Organic Cherry Tomatoes or any small variety
  • Organic Apples
My list could go on, but these 12 are a great starting point.  I know that organic isn't always feasible; I highly recommend it with the few things I've mentioned as they tend to be high in pesticides; if not, wash thoroughly first. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment