Thursday, April 25, 2013

Give Daddy some credit

As a mostly stay at home mom I'm more often than not the person in charge of any and all things kid related.  I'm also the one who has gotten the routine down to a near perfect science (ok, maybe it's more like a routine based on organized chaos).  Anytime I have to be away and leave the girls with daddy for longer than 1 hour I find myself getting a bit anxious.  What will he feed them? What will happen if Sloane has a meltdown? What if Blaire has a tantrum? What if what if what if???  I leave, I come back, and sure enough everyone is happy, healthy, and as much as I hate to admit it, better off than if I had stayed.  I know this, I've always know this, yet why is it I get so anxious each and every time, it's not this hard to leave them with the nanny?  I will tell you: Television.

Have you noticed the increase in the amount of programming relating to dads being primary care givers??  I mean Charles in Charge (yes that's what I call, what's his name) has a new show where he is again the man in charge of the house/child care, and I know there are a few others out there as well.  I don't actually watch any of these shows (I find other IQ decreasing ones to watch), but I've seen the commercials or read tid bits in magazines, and I get the jist.  "Ha Ha, look at daddy try to change a diaper, or use a baby bjorn, or make dinner, and use the stroller, feed the dog, etc"  Why is this all so comical?  Why can't daddies do these things just as well as a mommy?  Hell, why shouldn't they be doing these things? It's sad to think that men taking care of their children is considered so odd and challenging that it is actually comedy?

Give Daddy more credit than that.  Men are just as much parents as women.  Men LOVE their children just the same as women.  Your children will flourish if given the same opportunity to spend quality time with their daddy as much as they do with mommy.  Daddies can bring a level of crazy that most of us moms fear; a level that will challenge and teach the kids in a unique way.  So, STOP buying into the media BS that daddies are incompetent, STOP giving daddy a list of do's and don'ts, what to expe
cts, and how to's.  Instead, let daddy do what daddies do best.... BE A DADDY!  On his own terms, in his own unique and loving way.  And by all means,  take advantage of being able to have some YOU time, rather than Mommy time.  I know I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment