Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Beach Ready

As an avid exerciser and someone who has worked in large fitness clubs as well as small studios, I am always amused how certain times of year yield specific requests from clientele or an increase in clientele.  Don't get me wrong, I believe any reason that gets you moving is good, so if wearing shorts and tanks is your motivator, awesome. 

As a high school and college athlete, I've tried a lot of different workouts.  I've injured myself.  I've forced myself to keep going through injuries; hell I played an entire lacrosse season on a broken ankle.  When you're young you can get away with those types of things, you WILL pay the price later, but in those prime years you will move on.  As I got older and things began to creak and click, I realized that there was absolutely no reason why I should be exercising as if I was still in college training.  It's not like I am going out tomorrow and competing against a bunch of 18-19-20 year old chicks with lacrosse sticks anymore.  It was the body creaks and this realization that led me to Pilates.  After just a few mat classes I determined that this was something I wanted to pursue.  Years later I find myself working for the Master Trainer who certified me and loving every minute of my job. 

When my Master Trainer, Boss, and now friend, Chanda Fetter told me she was opening a private studio I jumped at the chance to follow her.  One of my better life decisions.  To the point:  quickly we noticed that clients were telling us how many compliments they were recieiving and how surprised they were seeing as they had stopped going to the gym and were only doing Pilates.  HMMMM?  Yup, it was challenged to us trainers to try the same thing.  I took on the challenge, because that's how I do it.  I was willing to give it 2-3 months.  I mean 2-3 months away from the gym seemed like an eternity.  Holy CRAP!  I was not prepared for the results.  MY BODY TOTALLY CHANGED.  In no way was I trying to loose weight, but I lost a little.  More importantly I toned up and tucked in in places I had never before been able to.  Even better, my body felt good.  I didn't hurt.  I became stronger.  Do I think Pilates is amazing?  Hell yea.  Do I think everyone needs to do it?  Yes.  BUT what I believe and know to be more important is that its all about doing something and sticking with that one thing to get the results you want.  If you are doing 5 different styles of workouts each week how does your body ever understand what it is you are trying to make it do?  One moment you are trying to get it to train like a college athlete, the next contort in yoga, followed by pilates, followed by heavy weight training, etc.  Besides the fact that you end up sore and frustrated that you don't see the expected results, it's too much to stick with, so more often than not we quit.  It doesn't make sense.  If you want to run a marathon, you run. Thus, if you want long lean muscles think Pilates, barre, yoga.  Bulkier muscles (testosterone is needed to truly bulk) heavy weight training.  Get it? 

So here is my message:  Get beach ready or whatever ready it is you are looking to get.  Set a goal, pick something to do that you can do and can stick to doing it.  I promise that that is what is going to get you your results.  Oh and a few good exercises for those beach parts:  triceps dips, planks, push ups, squats, pliĆ© squats, ab work, including obliques (rotational (twisting torso) and lateral (side) bending.  And don't forget that DIET is more important!  You are what you eat!
 XO

No comments:

Post a Comment