Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The hardest thing about being a Mom

Is keeping someone alive.  WHAT?  So there I am running away on the treadmill, watching Frasier re-runs, man that was a GREAT show, and a commercial comes on for a show called, I think, Pretty Wicked Moms.  To me the name sounded like it would be a show about moms who commit crimes or something.  Hell if I was wrong.  The tag lines were things like, "all moms want to be hot moms", "I won't go to a play date unless there is alcohol served", and my favorite, "the hardest thing about being a mom is keeping another human being alive."

What has the world come to?  Some people should just not be parents.  There, I've said it.  Maybe worse, I fully believe it.  I have been keeping myself alive for a pretty long time, and although I had help as a child, I would think that prior to having my own children I learned a thing or two about staying alive.  Barring any illness, disability, etc., why should keeping someone alive be the hardest thing about being a mom??  Yet, it got me thinking.  What IS the hardest part about being a mom, or parent for that matter?  Is it truly that I have to keep others alive?  That I now have to put others first?  That I can no longer do things on my timeline, but have to keep naps, child care availability, etc. in alignment prior to just going and doing something?  Or that I can't use the restroom without interruption?  Maybe that I don't shower everyday? (doubtful, I'm not sure I did that prior to kids).  The loss of sleep?  The loss of husband wife alone time? 

Honestly, I really am not sure what is the hardest thing about being a parent.  Some days it is the total fatigue.  Others it's the ability to take a deep breathe and not scream in the same manner as my 3 year old because even though that would most accurately describe how I feel, it would be a terrible example and irresponsible form of parenting.  Some days it's the fact that I am the farthest thing from looking like a hot mom & I wonder did I lose part of myself (I was hot, after all pre kids ;) )?  I do miss wearing the pretty shoes in my closet, but sneakers are oh God I'm going to say it, just more practical. 

I wish I could tell you what is the hardest part about being a parent.  I don't believe it's keeping another human being alive, because if that was the hardest part of being a parent then truly anyone could be a parent, and that is something that I don't believe (ignoring basic biology here).  Because to be a parent you need to be able to hold in the screams, get dirty like a 3 year old, be okay with being smelly & not having a spotless home, and understand that you are far from a perfect parent and perfect person, because those people do NOT exist.  We all have days that make us feel like bad parents.  LIGHTBULB! I just realized that that is the hardest thing about parenting, getting through the days that make us feel like we are in over our heads and are bad parents, moving forward into the next day or even moment, knowing that we aren't bad parents; we love our children and would go to the ends of the earth to give them whatever it is they need.  Remember that, I plead you!  Remember that it's in that moment when you are ready or already ripping the hair from your own head or in tears because you feel horrible for how you got through a situation (unless it involves violence), that it is right then that you are riding through the toughest aspect of your most difficult and wondrous job, being a parent!  XO

No comments:

Post a Comment