Thursday, May 16, 2013

Im the Bad Mom

I ran into a friend/acquaintance in the grocery store today; our youngest children are a little over a month apart in age.  I was the lucky one today because I was childless :)  We stopped to catch up a bit and realized that we had stopped pretty much in the middle of the parking lot, cars trying to get by and her little one wanting out of the cart, an mobile enough to make that happen.  We shifted to the side a bit.  As we were parting ways she made the comment about how she's a bad mom, seeing as a few people pointed out in the store that her little one was going to fall out of the cart. My response was that I usually tell those people that I can take care of my own child, thank you. 

That's when it hit me, people probably think that I am the bad/negligent/crazy mom.  More often than not my kiddos are climbing up anything in sight, moving things around, screaming, in both joy and frustration, getting their heads stuck in fences (seriously just happened at Disney), running away down the street, etc.  Yes, I know that all kids basically do these things, the difference is that sometimes I don't see it until it has been pointed out by an onlooker, whom I'm sure is disgusted with my parenting, or until someone needs a band aid.   As I have been sitting here writing my youngest has climbed out of the doggie door no less than two times to go outside to pick strawberries for herself. 

Here's the thing:  I believe that I am a good mom.  I know that yes may kids may get hurt because I am not hovering over them at all times. I am okay with that.  My girls get dirty and scraped up daily.  I believe that that is a sign of a good day.  We all know what role experience has played for ourselves in the learning process, and that should go for children as well.  If they don't experience climbing and falling, how else with they learn about fear and thrill, and yes, pain?  How will they learn to follow their instinct? 

I'm raising two strong willed, independent young girls.  I firmly believe that by allowing them to have space to go explore on their own from the moment they can move on their own, has contributed to them being independent and strong.  People are often amazed at how my girls can play independently and have been able to from the get go and all I can say is that that is what I have allowed them to do.  They get to be themselves.  Bonus:  sometimes I can go to the bathroom all alone ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment