Monday, May 13, 2013

Ive become my Mom!?!

As a teenager I remember over hearing my mom talking to another parent and being mortified as she went on and on about the wonderful things I had done.  I distinctly recall yelling at her to stop bragging and that it was not ok for her to talk to anyone about me, especially if it was to brag.  Well, I've become my mom, which if you know me, is kind of my biggest fear (don't get me wrong I love my mom, but if you know me you'd understand).  No, I don't go around telling people how great my girls are, not exactly anyway.  I DO post pictures on Instagram and Facebook, how conveniently they link up together.  My pictures are 90% of the time of my girls doing various things, looking cute or silly or even ugly.  Without saying anything at all, I'm saying "look at my girls, aren't they __________, fill in the blank. Look here at what they are doing"  I would have screamed at my mother had she committed an atrocity such as this.  Yet, here I am, almost daily, posting pictures of my children (or dog).  I use social media as a way to show off my girls, or really anything good that is going on in my life.  I tell myself, and my husband, that I use these medias as a way to "stay connected" to my friends, seeing as I moved 3000 miles away from where I grew up.  However, as connected as I am to these medias, have I become any more connected to these people?  Can any one of them tell me anything about my girls other than what they see in a picture?  Or how about something about me, as I rarely post pictures of myself (what can I say my girls are cuter;) )  Social Media has not made me or kept me connected to my friends.  Honestly, it has done the opposite as I have relied on social media as a way to communicate rather then picking up a damn phone or sending a letter or something that really shows, "hey, I like you and want to chat to see how you are doing"  We have all been fooled by Social Media.  Truly you do not have 500 friends.  We use this technology to show off.  How often do you show pictures of the bad times or write posts about them?  If you did, people would probably complain about it.  Nope, we, I, use social media as a way to show everyone else all of the really cool things we do/have.  Is that bad?  I don't know; I don't think that it is necessarily bad to focus on the positive rather than the negative, to look at other people's happy times as a way to remind yourself to be happy or get ideas.  Let's just stop fooling ourselves into believing that we are using social media to stay connected to one another.  Admit that it's a place to show off.  HELL,  I'm Queen Bragger (and only a little ashamed).  I have become my mom.  Sorry girls, I swear it is all out of love and because you truly are what my life is about.  Besides, it's keeping me connected ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment