Monday, May 20, 2013

My next 30

In the past week I've had two questions asked of me, 1.  Do I miss my job teaching?  2.  Am I okay with not exercising as much as I did pre-children/as much as I may wish I did?  The answers to which came more easily than I ever could have imagined, 1. Nope 2.  Yes. 

Here's the thing, I am a Mom.  I get the opportunity to teach my own children, every day.  I can't remember one day in the classroom or one workout that ever came close to that in terms of the joy it brings me.  My children are far from angels.  They challenge me in ways, physically and emotionally, that I never dreamed possible.  With them I've grown; I've learned that patience is a commodity that some days is harder to come by.  I've learned that strength is so much more than how many squats I can do or how fast I can run; it's about being able to carry a screaming toddler away from a birthday party while consoling a baby who is hungry and not falling to the ground in tears because I am exhausted. I've learned what it truly means to be exhausted.  I've gotten to see the joy in a baby's face as she walked across the room for the first time and hear her cackle as she realized the doggie door is her escape route.  I've jumped for joy with my daughter as she tackled obstacles that lay in front of her, even those as simple as navigating up a slide or getting a sock on all by herself.  I've learned that sometimes a band aid can make anything better (bonus if they are pretty ;) )  I've learned that the time I do have to myself, to use it wisely, so though my workouts though shorter, are more often than not of better quality (minus those days when I'm truly exhausted). 

Here's the thing:  I had 30 years to myself.  I had 30 years to play sports, party, train, & sleep til noon (though I don't think I ever did).  I had 30 years to be selfish.  I cherish those 30 years.  Though, I have this nagging feeling that it's these next 30 that I will cherish even more, and I never want to look back and say, "I wish I spent more time with my children."  To me, that would be the greatest travesty.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment